Please visit us at our new location – The Equity Alliance at ASU! We’re continuing the work of NCCRESt and NIUSI in providing technical assistance and resources for increasing access, participation, and equity in our schools.
The National Center for Culturally Responsive Educational Systems (NCCRESt), a project funded by the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Special Education Programs, provided technical assistance and professional development to close the achievement gap between students from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and their peers, and reduce inappropriate referrals to special education. The project targeted improvements in culturally responsive practices, early intervention, literacy, and positive behavioral supports.
Supporting state and local school systems to assure a quality, culturally responsive education for all students.
NCCRESt supported the implementation of the Individual with Disabilities Education Act as it extends the goals of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001. To accomplish these goals, NCCRESt worked to:
- Develop accurate baselines and analyze the impact of change efforts on placement and outcomes for students from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
- Synthesize and expand research-based practices for culturally and linguistically diverse students.
- Leverage the continued improvement of schools with large proportions of culturally and linguistically diverse student populations through state technical assistance plans, collaborative work with existing technical assistance networks, asset mapping, continuous school improvement processes, and regional and state leadership academies.
- Engage a national discourse across local, professional practice, and policy communities on improving educational outcomes for culturally and linguistically diverse students.
- Develop products, including research syntheses, policy briefs, and public communication activities that inform a variety of audiences about effective and evidence-based teaching and school organizational practices that support successful educational outcomes for students from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.